Shopping is one of the most popular pastimes worldwide. It’s also a very efficient way to spend as much money as you can in the shortest period of time. At least if you don’t like to spend your time on traveling between stores. That’s why some brilliant minds in the 1920′s have come up with the idea of a car friendly shopping mall.
Actually, the idea isn’t that new. Modern shopping malls are nothing than more a marketplace in the ancient times. One of the earliest shopping centers is Trajan’s Market in Rome. Other precursors of the biggest shopping malls of the world include The Grand Bazaar of Istanbul, Turkey (15th century) and Gostiny Dvor in Russia’s St. Petersburg (1785). The last decades early signs of Asia’s upcoming economic supremacy are reflected in the size of their shopping centres. It’s here where you can find the world’s largest shopping malls. If you like to shop, you should take a look at our list top 10 biggest shopping malls in the world!
Top 10 biggest shopping malls of the world
- Sunway Pyramid, Subang Jaya, Malaysia, 1997 – 396,000 m² / 4.27 million sq ft
- Mid Valley Megamall, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 1999 – 420,000 m² / 4.5 million sq ft
- Cevahir Mall, Istanul, Turkey, 2005 – 420,000 m² / 4.5 million sq ft
- Isfahan City Centre, Isfahan, Iran, 2012 – 425,000 m² / 4.5 million sq ft
- Central World, Bangkok, Thailand, 1990 – 429,500 m² / 4.6 million sq ft
- Persian Gulf Complex, Shiraz, Iran, 2012 – 450,000 m² / 4.8 million sq feet
- 1 Utama, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia, 1995 – 465,000 m² / 5.0 million sq ft
- SM North EDSA, Quezon City, Phillipines, 1985 – 482,878 m² / 5.2 million sq ft
- Golden Resources Mall, Beijing, China, 2004 – 557,419 m² / 6.0 million sq ft
- New South China Mall*, Dongguan, China, 2005 – 600,153m² / 7.1 million sq ft
* The biggest shopping mall is also known as “the dead mall” as 99% of the space isn’t leased
Tired of shopping?
101 Ways to Stop Shopping and Start Saving