It takes understanding of psychology, probability and game theory. It takes a bluff. Total control of your nerves. Sunglasses, even after dark. The game of poker has gained a lot of popularity since it is possible to play poker online. Moreover the game became a spectator sport thanks to the introduction of hole-card cameras. Many of the biggest cash prize winners in poker started online with a buy in of a few dollars.
The poker boom lasted from 1998 to 2007 when online gambling was regulated by the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006. But still many people worldwide play poker online or on tournaments organized by the World Series of Poker (WSOP) or the World Poker Tour (WPT). The most popular play of poker is No Limit Hold’em, the variant that is organized by the richest tournaments. But who are the biggest cash prize winners in poker by winning a single tournament? Where and when did they win their millions? Here’s a top 10 biggest cash prize winners in poker!
Top 10 biggest cash prize winners in poker
- Stanley Choi, China, 2012 Macau High Stakes Challenge Super High Roller – $6,465,560
- Joe Hachem, Australia, 2005 WSOP Main Event – $7,500,000
- Jerry Yang, United States, 2007 WSOP Main Event – $8,250,000
- Greg Merson, United States, 2012 WSOP Main Event – $8,527,982
- Joe Cada, United States, 2009 WSOP Main Event – $8,547,042
- Pius Heinz, Germany, 2011 WSOP Main Event – $8,711,956
- Jonathan Duhamel, Canada, 2010 WSOP Main Event – $8,944,310
- Peter Eastgate, Denmark, 2008 WSOP Main Event – $9,152,416
- Jamie Gold, United States, 2006 WSOP Main Event – $12,000,000
- Antonio Esfandiari, United States, WSOP 2012 (The Big One for One Drop) – $18,346,673