In the early 1990’s, cell phones looked like bricks. Still, many people didn’t mind carrying a device that allowed them to have telephone contact with the world, when and where ever they wanted. And over a timespan of twenty years technology went on. The modern mobile phones also support a wide variety of other services such as text messaging, MMS, email, internet access, photography and gaming.
Companies like Samsung, Apple, Motorola are heavily investing in innovation in order to sell the most phones. But without a network every call or action comes to an end. That’s where the mobile operators come in. They sell subscriptions to their customers and get paid to keep us connected. Big money is made by the biggest mobile operators of the world, by number of subscribers. Here’s a top 10 list!
Top 10 biggest mobile operators in the world
- Etisalat, United Arab Emirates – 167.000.000 subscribers
- MTN Group, South Africa – 175.980.000 subscribers
- China Unicom, China – 202.890.000 subscribers
- VimpelCom, Russia – 209.000.000 subscribers
- Orange, France – 226.300.000 subscribers
- Telefónica, Spain – 231.870.000 subscribers
- Airtel, India – 250.040.000 subscribers
- América Móvil, Mexico – 251.800.000 subscribers
- Vodafone, United Kingdom – 439.601.000 subscribers
- China Mobile, China – 703.460.000 subscribers