Today, the 99th edition of Liège–Bastogne–Liège is on the menu of many professional cyclists. It’s the final spring classic of the season and it’s presumably a prey for a climber. All classic cycle races take place in western Europe and have a rich history filled with tragedies and heroic acts. Out of the limited number of classic cycle races, some are regarded as ‘monumental’. In the following top 10 list, they have a nickname.
Classic cycle races are one-day-races run over a long distance. Although the stage is never exactly the same, the distance the cyclists have to race is more or less the same. Some of the classics take place on cobbled roads, others are more the specialty of climbers or sprinters. Famous winners of these one-day-races include the Belgian heroes Eddy Merckx, Roger de Vlaeminck and Italian super star Fausto Coppi. Modern champions are Fabian Cancellara (Switzerland) and Tom Boonen (Belgium). The following list is all about these heroic cycle races. In order to rank them we just follow the number of editions the race has taken place. Which is the oldest cycle classic? What’s the character of the race and where and when does the race take place? The riders are on the way to Liège. We’re drinking a beer, while watching them pass by. Here’s a top 10 classic cycle races!
Top 10 classic cycle races
- Amstel Gold Race, spring classic, climbers, first race in 1966 – 48 editions
- Omloop het Nieuwsblad (FKA Omloop het Volk), spring classic, cobbled, first race in 1945 – 68 editions
- Gent – Wevelgem, spring classic, cobbled, first race in 1934 – 75 editions
- La Flèche Wallonne, spring classic, climbers, first race in 1937 – 77 editions
- Ronde van Vlaanderen (Flanders’ finest), spring classic, cobbled, first race in 1913 – 97 editions
- Liège–Bastogne–Liège (La Doyenne), spring classic, climbers, first race in 1892 – 99 editions
- Milan – San Remo (La Primavera), spring classic, sprinters, first race in 1907 – 104 editions
- Giro di Lombardia (Race of the Falling Leaves), autumn classic, climbers, first race in 1905 – 106 editions
- Paris – Tours, autumn classic, sprinters, first race in 1896 – 106 editions
- Paris–Roubaix (The Hell of the North), spring classic, cobbled, first race in 1896 – 111 editions
compiled from many sources