Research and development is an essential element in the modern economy. Companies are always searching for solutions to future problems to stay ahead of the competition. In order to protect their inventions or ideas companies or single persons can apply for a patent. The following list shows companies by granted patents.
A patent is a form of intellectual property. It’s a right to exclude others from producing, selling or using the patented invention for a limited period of time, usually 20 years. If a patent is infringed the patentee can start a civil lawsuit to seek monetary compensation for past infringement. Companies such as Apple and Samsung seem to be in a continuous patent war with each other. And indeed the stakes are high. The 2,000 largest global companies invested more than 600 billion dollars in research and development. So which companies have the highest amount of granted patents? Check the top 10 companies by granted patents!
Top 10 companies by granted patents
- Hitachi, Japan – 1,465 grants
- Hon Hai Precision Industry AKA Foxconn, Taiwan – 1,514 grants
- Seiko Epson, Japan – 1,533 grants
- Sony, Japan – 2,286 grants
- Microsoft, United States – 2,311 grants
- Toshiba, Japan – 2,483 grants
- Panasonic, Japan – 2,559 grants
- Canon, Japan – 2,821 grants
- Samsung Electronics, South Korea – 4,894 grants
- International Business Machines (IBM), United States – 6,180 grants