You have to be a bit crazy to be a sportsman. In order to be the best, sportsmen push themselves constantly towards physical and mental limits. The athletes in our next top 10 list of crazy sportsmen crossed that line and lost their marbles in one way or another.
Top 10 crazy sportsmen
- Eric Cantona – Former French soccer player, philosopher and politician. His kung fu-style chop to a supporter draw headlines
- Bobby Fisher – American chess legend, ‘ man without frontiers’. Developed antisemitic and anti-American ideas, escaped USA, lived in Yugoslavia, Japan, died in Iceland
- Tonya Harding – Notorious for her attack on fellow figure skater Nancy Kerrigan in 1994. Now a boxer
- Eddie ‘The Eagle’ Edwards – British first ski jumper. Eddie was farsighted and always had to wear glasses
- John ‘You cannot be serious’ McEnroe – Famous for his confrontational on-court behaviour. Now a commentator for the BBC
- Mario Balotelli – Extrovert Italian soccer player. Troublemaker both inside and outside the field. Balotelli recently threw darts at youth players
- Matti Nykänen – Very successfull Finnish ski jumper, but reknowned for his career after sport. He was a singer, a stripper and was sentenced to jail after a stabbing incident
- Dennis Rodman – Former NBA player. Archetype of a ‘bad boy’.
- Diego Maradona – One of the greatest soccer players in the world and also one of the most controversial. Used cocain and efedrine during his career. In 2010 he was coach of the national team of Argentina and was often seen smoking cigars during training
- Mike Tyson – Retired boxer. Famous for his intimidating style both inside as outside the ring. Was sentenced to jail for a raping a woman.