You can feel the tension in the air: the UEFA European Football Championship 2016 is about to start! The 24 best national football teams from Europe will be competing from June 10 to July 10 in France. Almost all the usual suspects will be participating: Germany, England, France and Spain will all try their best to win this prestigious championship!
But it’s not just the European Cup that’s at stake. Every boy in Europe dreams of being the top striker for their national soccer team, scoring the winning goal in the 89th minute of the final. Because as we all know, if you don’t score, you can’t win. So who will be the top goal scorer in the Euro 2016? Here’s the top-10 of former goal scorers from the past European Football Championships.
Top 10 goalscorers in the Euro Championships (goals/matches)
- Savo Milosevic (RS, 2000): 5 goals in 4 matches
- Wayne Rooney (UK, 2004- ): 5 goals in 6 matches
- Cristiano Ronaldo (PT, 2004- ): 6 goals in 14 matches
- Nuno Gomes (PT, 2000-2008): 6 goals in 14 matches
- Thierry Henry (FR, 2008-2008): 6 goals in 11 matches
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic (SE, 2004- ): 6 goals in 10 matches
- Patrick Kluivert (NL, 1996-2000): 6 goals in 9 matches
- Ruud van Nistelrooy (NL, 2004-2008): 6 goals in 8 matches
- Alan Shearer (UK, 1992-2000): 7 goals in 9 matches
- Michel Platini (FR, 1984): 9 goals in 5 matches
Source: Football Bible.