According to some estimations the total number of cars in the world exceeds one billion. Mainly because of the fast economic growth in China and India. And although local car manufacturers like Tata (India) or Dongfeng (China) increase production to satisfy domestic needs, there’s still a hunger for the mainstream car brands. These brands belong to the largest car companies in the world.
Henry Ford laid the foundation of mass production in the automotive industry. Who doesn’t know his famous apocryphal remark “you can have any color as long as it’s black”? The T-Ford was the affordable car. Worldwide companies start to copy Ford’s efficient approach to car assembly. Nowadays millions of cars leave the assembly lines yearly. But is Ford still the largest car producer? How many cars are produced on an annual basis? Who are the biggest car manufacturers? Check the top 10 largest car companies in the world!
Top 10 largest car companies in the world
- Suzuki, Shizuoka, Japan – 2,725,899 vehicles
- Renault, Boulogne-Billancourt, France – 2,825,089 vehicles
- Honda, Tokyo, Japan – 2,909,016 vehicles
- PSA (Peugeot, Citroën), Paris, France – 3,582,410 vehicles
- Nissan (Nissan, Datsun), Yokohama, Japan – 4,631,673 vehicles
- Ford (Ford, Lincoln), Dearborn, Michigan, USA – 4,873,450 vehicles
- Hyundai – Seoul, South Korea – 6,616,858 vehicles
- Toyota (Toyota, Lexus), Toyota, Aichi, Japan – 8,050,181 vehicles
- Volkswagen Group (Volkswagen, Audi, Skoda, SEAT), Wolfsburg, Germany – 8,157,058 vehicles
- General Motors (Buick, Chevrolet, Cadillac), Detroit, USA – 9,146,340 vehicles