Yesterday, by winning the Cadillac Classic in Doral, Florida, Tiger Woods dominantly showed that he’s still in the race of becoming one of the world’s most successful golf players ever. In order to grant this unofficial title he needs to win six more PGA tournaments. If he wins the next tournament at Bay Hill, Orlando, he can return to number 1 on the Tour.
Golf is definitely dominated by the United States. Only by looking at the number of courses one could easily understand why. Out of every 2 golf courses (world total is 35,500) one is located in the USA. It is estimated that roughly 30 million Americans play golf on a regular basis. With numbers like these it seems only logical that the greatest golf players ever are American. But who are the most successful golf players in terms of PGA tournaments won? Here’s a top 10 most successful golf players!
Top 10 most successful golf players
- Cary Middlecoff, United States (1921-1998) – 40 wins (1945-1961)
- Phil Mickelson*, United States (1970 – ) – 41 wins (1991-2013)
- Walter Hagen, United States (1892-1969) – 45 wins (1914-1936)
- Billy Casper, United States (1931 – ) – 51 wins (1956-1975)
- Byron Nelson, United States (1912-2006) – 52 wins (1935-1952)
- Arnold Palmer, United States (1929 – ) – 62 wins (1955-1973)
- Ben Hogan, United States (1912-1997) – 64 wins (1938-1957)
- Jack Nicklaus**, United States (1940- ) – 72 wins (1962-1980)
- Tiger Woods*, United States (1975- ) – 76 wins (1996-2013)
- Sam Snead, United States (1912-2002) – 82 wins (1936-1965)
* still playing
** Jack Nicklaus won the most majors (18 wins)