There are approximately 7 billion people. A lot of mouths and stomachs to be filled on a daily basis. Many analysts have questioned the sustainability of further world population growth, especially when it comes to the global food supply. Prices of common crops, such as rice, wheat and corn have already risen to an all time high. That’s why it’s relevant to know what threatens the crops we need to grow to keep filling the 7 billion stomachs.
Almost 500 biologists have put up a list of plant-damaging fungi. Here it is, the top 10 plant damaging fungi!
Top 10 plant damaging fungi
- Flax rust (Melampsora lini)
- Corn smut fungus (Ustilago maydis)
- Crown rot (Colletotrichum)
- Filamentous fungus (Mycosphaerella graminicola)
- Powdery mildew (Blumeria graminis)
- Elegans (group) (Fusarium oxysporum)
- Fusarium head blight (Gibberella zeae)
- Stem rust (Puccinia)
- Botrytis bunch rot (Botrytis cinerea)
- Rice blast fungus (Magnaporthe oryzae)